Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Love Letters


Life is in the little things. Ellie is talking more and more everyday and I'm beside myself to learn what goes on in that little head. She stayed home with Dad while Parker and I went to Aspen for the weekend for my Aunt Robi's 50th birthday. She had SO much fun at Cole's 5th birthday party, it was obviously the right decision to have her stay and enjoy her much adored older cousin, but it was hard to leave her.

And when I put her to bed on the night I came back she spent five minutes talking about the party, her day with daddy, grandma's dog...and how mommy "went bye." She was scared that I'd leave again and gave me the biggest, longest hug. She's a sweet girl with a sweet heart and I've remembered that hug all week....especially when she's driving me crazy. She doesn't have all of her words yet, and most are still pretty sketchy, but she gives really good hugs and makes me feel like she might actually love me back.

It reminds me of something I read, a piece of advice, suggesting that you keep a list of the top five things you want to write down before you die. Might be your life story, a love letter to your spouse, a thank you to your parents....but I fell in love with the idea of keeping a journal for each of the kids. More than a cheesy, pre-fabricated baby book, but a real journal full of real memories that they can have when they are grown. If you know me you probably know that I don't really do any one thing well; I do lots and lots of things with average ability. But I can write, and that's something I'm going to give to my babies. Now I just have to get started.

More adventures to come as we road trip to Kansas this weekend. We'll be missing Derrick all the way there and all the way back.

No comments:

Post a Comment