Monday, September 7, 2009

A New Era

I was reading something in Psychology Today (mental note: order subscription to Psychology Today...good stuff) about some Evangelical minister who says that the main religion of modern America is consumerism. Hmmmmm.....

I can't disagree.

I grew up in the mountains when little mountain towns were still just that. I remember going to the store maybe once a week, but it was probably more like twice a month? Now, as a stay-at-home-mom, much like my own mom (but not as crafty and organized) I end up at the store at least four time a week. I never have what I need, I always need one more thing for dinner or something for the kids. We hardly eat out, we're not involved in crazy expensive hobbies or sports, I like to shop but almost everything I buy is on sale....so I think I justify. At some point, too much stuff is exactly that.

I don't really need so much junk!! It actually makes my life more difficult. So, I'm entering into a new era. For the coming fall and winter months I'm putting myself on a shopping hiatus. I've read blogs and articles about people who do this so I know it's possible. Ha! I'm not going crazy. We'll still need stuff. But I'm not buying so much stuff. I think I can do it.....

No comments:

Post a Comment