Friday, November 27, 2009

"You're a greedy, broken old man!!"

(Eliana, Thanksgiving 2007, Pacific Beach, Washington)

In a lot of ways I am in a big ole rush to see 2009 come to an end. It's been a rough one and I'm just fine saying "Good bye & good riddance!" to a year that's brought some tough stuff. I love new starts and rebirths and all those exciting "new" things. But as I reflect, the bad stuff and the tough stuff can sometimes only reinforce all the things that really matter and all the things I am truly thankful for.

Like yesterday with a delicious Thanksgiving dinner with wonderful family. And like tonight. With Derrick's awesome Robot Birthday Party. And like when I'm listening to Derrick and his Dad watch football, drink wine and insult each other mercilessly with both humor and contempt. (Okay, no real contempt....but a good vocabulary can go a long way. Write that down.)

I'm reminded of all the post-Thanksgiving birthday parties we've had. All the good food. All the good friends and all of our amazing family. We've added new members, grown closer with others, and added friends that might as well be blood. We've had some close calls, some rough days, and a few too many desperate prayers. But lately I've never been so proud of where I am in my life and who I have to share it with. I'm thankful for every little laugh, back-handed compliment and wine-fueled insult we've had this weekend. Because despite it all we haven't lost our sense of humor. And I look forward to the many more laughs to come....

(Grandpa Bowman's last Thanksgiving, 2008)
(I'm pregnant with Parker....and John's jaw isn't made out of Titanium....)

No comments:

Post a Comment