Saturday, February 6, 2010

Right Here, Right Now? Thanks, Jesus Jones.

So, there's a reason why there are expressions like "The grass is always greener on the other side," and "You don't know what you've got, til it's gone." (Well actually that's a song, isn't it? Insert appropriate 80's rock ballad singing here.) But sentiments like these exist because, by nature, we seem to long for what we don't have.

I've been whiny. And tired. And, quite frankly, overwhelmed. But that doesn't mean that what I've got right now in my life isn't exactly what I need right now in my life. In my frustrated moments I imagine all I need is change. But change inherently brings good and bad, not just the peachy-keen dreams of professional expression, a nice fat paycheck (yeah, right), and long, leisurely lunches. I pretend that just because things aren't perfect now they could be some other way. And we all know perfect doesn't exist. Not on this planet, anyway.

So I commit to not dreaming of "others" and being right here, right now. Even if that includes running noses, croupy coughs and some regularly timed tantrums. I love my kids. I love my Mr. And no one can give them what I can give them. Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment