Saturday, October 30, 2010

Ain't Love Grand(parents)

I'm pretty sure you can never fully appreciate your parents until you have your own children. Only then with the late nights and the cold, neglected meals and the bare bank accounts do you get what they sacrificed, and worked for, and focused on just to get little old you to ripe old age of 18....and beyond.

My parents divorced more than 20 years ago and yet I've never felt like a "broken home" kid (and I despise that term). And now that I have my own kids I have more respect for the strict rules, the no-nonsense approach to teaching right and wrong, and the way they could make almost anything funny, which makes it a lot more difficult to throw a temper tantrum. They always did their best to be there even if it always looked different and they couldn't do it together.

And as I got to watch each of them find new people to make them happy and bring them into our lives (Jim is particularly good at eating Chinese food with Ellie, and Cherlyn is fantastic with a box of Crayolas and a coloring book,) I also get to watch them be grandparents, and bring new little people into their lives.

Today Eliana had a special Halloween Craft Day with Grandma Judy. Complete with "Lil' Green Meanies" and "Baked Bugs." The little Bug was all aglow when I opened the door as she stood with her tray of treats. She was so proud of herself and her special time away from her little brother (and me.)

And Parker stayed home with me while Grandpa Ron came over to fix the door that I ripped off the door frame with my massive muscles. Parker was Grandpa's Little Helper and made sure to check all of the screws after they were put in. Apparently Parker's no slouch and he doesn't appreciate shoddy work. Better watch it, Grandpa.

I've always felt lucky to come from such a great family. As I grow up (or try to, at least) the feeling only deepens. I love you, Mom & Dad. Thanks for being such great Grandparents (in totally different ways.)

Quotes of the Day:
"I'll love you always and forever, Mommy. Even when I'm big." ~ Ellie
"I just waited for 10 minutes to hear the announcers say 'Tacos!!' when the Nuggets scored 100 points. I guess they're not doing it this year. This sucks." ~ Pope
"Parker's" ~ Parker, when showing me his plastic pumpkin full of candy....

No comments:

Post a Comment