Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Little Things


Sometimes big events make you appreciate the little things. If it hadn't been strikingly obvious from my previous post, last week was a hard week. My grandfather, with whom I was very close despite his lack of verbal communication, died on Sunday, Dec. 7th. He was 88 and lead an incredible life that has always inspired me.

Dr. Harold Bowman was born in China to missionary parents who believed the world could be a better place. He always had charity and hard work in his heart. He was well educated, receiving his Ph.D. by the time he was 30 and spent the majority of his academic career right here in Colorado as a professor at the University of Northern Colorado. He was handy and crafty and full of little jokes if you were quiet enough to catch them.

It broke my heart to see him go. But in the days that followed we planned a beautiful service and I was able to be thankful for all of the many blessings in my life and all the little inspirations that find me everyday. Elle made it through a whole day of family and car trips and long meals and quiet services without a meltdown. She made every sad face smile with her funny personality and innate curiosity. And Derrick took on a whole day of baby wrangling without missing a beat. I wasn't the kind of day you'd ask for, but it was a beautiful day with a beautiful family and that made everything better.

Ellie did crash, but once we got home. Sweet little thing.

2 comments:

  1. sorry to hear about your grandfather. thats got to be hard. those pics though are just too cute elle looks gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and that's Derrick's Christmas Beard. It's a big deal in our house.

    ReplyDelete