Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Calorie Countdown

I don't believe in dieting and that's something that probably annoys Derrick. Well, it probably annoys lots of people as I never have fat-free/diet cheese or salad dressing or cookies or soda or anything in the house, but I know for a fact it annoys Derrick. And it should.

I've always been of the "everything in moderation" frame of mind. Soda isn't evil if you only have a couple a week. McDonald's won't kill you if you go there once a month, multiple Coronas the size of your head are totally acceptable if there is a beach within a one block radius....that sort of thing. But over the course of the past year and especially with some new events in Derrick's family in the past few weeks, I'm going to have to at the very least reconsider my ideology, and at the most make some small changes for the health of our little family.

Derrick's mom (and my Wednesday baby-sitting savior) Barbara had a mild heart attack last Thursday. It was terribly scary for the whole family. She's recovering well and feeling good and we are all grateful for her increasingly optimistic bill of health. On the other hand, we are now considering the fact that we have to be more deliberate in our own health. Let's face it, we're not 28 any more, (Hahahahaha), okay some of us are, but that's beside the point. I still believe in moderation but at the same time the world is out to get us. Derrick and I love the "Eat This, Not That" newsletters for nothing more than to see the nutritional breakdown of some common restaurant, fast food, and beverage joints. When a burger at Chili's is a whole 2,220 calories, yes, the world is out to get you.

Here are some good links if you're curious. You might find something on the list that you actually eat and love. And then you will have to say goodbye to it.

Worst Foods in America 2009

America's Worst Supermarket Foods

America's Worst Breakfast Foods

The Most Sugar Packed Foods in America

So, with it having just been the new year with all those "resolution" things people make, I think I'll actually vow to make my home (and our eating out options) healthier. We might even make some progress before Chinese New Year, so at least that's a start. I promise to report back.

No comments:

Post a Comment