Thursday, January 22, 2009

Slightly Political

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, lived a young woman who used to work for a living. She got up every morning and drove downtown and went up to the Department of Political Science and worked on changing the world. It was awesome. She wore nice suits and got to brush her hair everyday and drank yummy coffee and had lunch meetings in fabulous restaurants, (what a dream!) She met with political leaders and state senators and representatives. She wrote TV scripts (and put nervous teens through make-up to prepare for the show, picture below). She went to board meetings, and spent time in-studio editing clips, and did massive amounts of research. She won an Emmy!!

(Which now collects dust as she blogs during nap time. Picture of that great night at top!! We chose to spend the evening in Kansas at our dear friend's wedding instead of the award ceremony, but they presented me with a candle during dinner until I got the real deal. Just as good if not better.)

She worked, worked, worked!! And she was so glad that she had so many amazing opportunities.

All of this hard work, which came to an end as funding ran out and the young woman decided to have beautiful kids with a handsome prince, was put forth into the world with the hope that changing the face of politics on a local level would make an impact on a national level. It was fantastic work.

And as of late this young woman, who left this life in the past and now just goes by Veronica (or V or Ronca), has felt an enormous sense of pride in the recent path of American politics. Enormous, heart-felt, cry-as-it's-happening pride.

I actually registered as a Democrat this year. I'd always been Independent and truly valued the chance to benefit from a two-party system (although a real multi-party system would be even better.) I value checks and balances and thoughtful discourse and justice for and by the people. But I had a hard time with old George W. Bush and he persuaded me to think that I had to pick a side. It wasn't his.

My work history, along with my rather liberal upbringing and personal ideology, makes me the kind of person who LOVES politics. But sometimes I get too passionate and my yelling at the TV makes Derrick laugh. So, I try to keep this under wraps, but I've realized I can't and I don't really want to. I don't make any assertions to alienate those with different views, but I can't stand the idea that conservative dogma is more American than a more balance, fair and compassionate view of real life. So, with this, I'll admit my biggest political annoyance of the week follows:

Someone I know joined a group that defends George W. Bush's presidency with the main focus being how he protected the USA from so many terrorist attacks over the past eight years. I know that complaining about this isn't profound or even slightly original, but so what, I just have to say "When does ANYONE get credit for ANYTHING that DIDN'T happen?" My husband rarely comes home from work to congratulate me on not burning the house down or sleeping with the plumber. Critics of former President Bill Clinton rarely admit that they are so very proud of all the women he didn't seduce while in office. I mean, that could be hundreds, thousands....millions!!! Good work, Mr. Clinton. We're all so proud of you.

Anyway, all this is a ridiculously long post to proclaim my pride in the new turn America might be able to take in the coming years. Here's to America. Here's to Honesty. And here's to Work. You're gonna have to work, work, work, work, work, President Obama. But I'm so excited that you have the opportunity.

3 comments:

  1. yay! i love it!!!! very well said

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe! I finally figured out how to comment. Love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all your comments, guys! They make me happy. :)

    ReplyDelete